Monday, January 27, 2014

Grammy Awards Round-Up

Ok. Is it just me or is there such a thing as over-producing a show? The other awards shows, I don't know, aren't as slick somehow. They seem a little more...I don't know...spontaneous? Even though I know that's not really true, the Grammy's just seem a little too contrived? Is that the word? I don't know. Maybe it was my mood or something. I just didn't really enjoy them all that much.

Some of the performances were amazing, though.

I really, really, REALLY loved the Macklemore and Ryan Lewis performance and all the couples getting married during the show. It was touching and the song was VERY poignant. The only weird part of that was the appearance of Madonna. WTF with her? She looked AWFUL. And I'm being kind.

Did you get a gander at her? Here she is arriving with her son in a matching get-up:


That poor kid. And here, get a gander at Madonna during her performance at the end of Macklemore & Lewis' awesome song:


If you click on her picture, it will enlarge and you might notice the overly-botoxed face. Her face. Ugh. Madonna looks like her own Grandmother! Honestly. And she seemed wobbly and kind of "off" as she was onstage. I don't know. It all just made me feel really old.

Other highlights for me were Pharrell Williams (whose recent song I LOVE) and his riDICulous hat. In my notes, I wrote "Look, it's Smokey the Bear's younger cousin!" He looked dumb in that hat and his Run DMC track suit. Jeez. Dress up for a minute. He was trying SO hard to look cool that he utterly and completely missed the mark:


His outfit is dumb, but his song, Happy, is just that! SO happy. The official music video is below. It's well worth watching and hearing:


And I was not all that familiar with the Daft Punk group. Apparently they are from France and they CLEANED up last night. If you are not familiar with them, they look like robots and they don't speak. Very strange. Apparently they guys under the costumes want to sort of remain anonymous and lead normal lives, so there's that. Here's what they look like:


Really freaky. And you can't see a speck of skin when they're in their get-ups. It's odd.

The fake 1/2 time show with Deion Sanders, Terry Bradshaw, Shannon Sharpe and Ditka was pretty funny. It was basically a Pepsi commercial, but it was a cute theme. Here  it is if you're interested:



Other highlights and lowlights were:

Katy Perry. Boring.

Robin Thicke & Chicago? Nope. Chicago shoulda been out there by themselves. Robin Thicke is a major dufus.

Keith Urban and Gary Clark, Jr. was AWKWARD. It didn't work.

John Legend and piano. Perfect.

Kendrick Lamar and Imagine Dragons - was very cool, indeed.

Taylor Swift. Yaaawn. And what's with the head-banging? Jeez.

Pink. Cool, but a repeat of last year's Cirque de Soleil-ish performance. Kinda lame to repeat it.

Ringo and Paul. I liked seeing them together. It wasn't awesome, but it WAS two of the Beatles!

Carole King looked amazing! She hasn't aged in the last 20 years!

Steven Tyler did his very best Jack Sparrow look last night!

Smokey Robinson? Please. Enough with the plastic surgery. Yikes.

The Lang Lang tribute to Van Cliburn was gorgeous.

Did you see Alisha Keyes? She had PECS last night. It was very distracting:


You can't see it all that well in this shot, but it looked like a man's chest. It was really strange.

There were other performances and of course, the awards, but that's all I got! I have a million things to do today and have to skedaddle in a few...

Ciao for today!




1 comment:

  1. Nice roundup but Jack Sparrow stole Steven Tyler's look. Ha!

    ReplyDelete