Google+ Followers

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Recipe request-ipeee!

Hi Kids,

Again, sorry about being remiss in my SAG awards ranty post. I had an unexpected evening out yesterday and then a busy day today. Last night walked over to a local Thai restaurant and had the MOST delicious meal. Shrimp stir fry in a ginger spicy sauce. It was beyond fresh and lovely with lots of shrimp, scallions, onion, mushrooms, green pepper and red pepper. It was nummy. The restaurant is called The Thai Place and here's a link to their website.

Right next door to The Thai Place is our little local movie theater, Salem Cinema, and we saw American Hustle. It was EXCELLENT! Everyone in the movie was stellar, and I just can't say enough about Christian Bale, Amy Adams and Bradley Cooper. Really a great, great movie. Top rating in my book!

Anywho, so I didn't get home until late and that was that. Today, had to go do lots of emails, return phone calls and then the requisite shopping before the snowstorm. It's the funniest phenomenon here in New England. Each time there's a snowstorm, people here immediately flock to the store for bread, milk, eggs, toilet paper and bottled water. It's a thing with people here. Of course, coming from Michigan I feel that everyone here is silly and ridiculous, but there ya go. Wherever you go, there you are (which I find rather obvious, no?).

In any case, I went to the grocery store with my friend because I was car-less yesterday and early today as my car was in the fixit shop getting some final work done. $1400 later, my car is again in tip-top condition. Mind you, I've been very neglectful of my fabulous little car, so that was a well-deserved $1400 fix. Get this - I've got a 2002 Volkswagen Passat and it's only got 45,000 miles on it! I know! That's nothing. And in all the years I've had my wonderful car, I have only put about $1000 into it. Really - that's nothing considering the car is 12 years old already.

So that brings me to about an hour ago and here I am. Exciting life, right? I'm sure you're just madly jealous of the fame and glory.

Annnnnnyway, one of my nice, faithful readers has requested recipes for the goodies I mentioned in yesterday's post, and asked for the cabbage soup in particular, so here goes:

Cabbage Soup (be warned I don't really measure things when I cook!)

You'll need:
Two large cans of diced tomatoes (I think they're 28 oz each)
Two full cans of water (using the tomato cans)
3 vegetable or chicken bouillon cubes
1/2 large head of cabbage, cut into bite-sized chunks
Medium/large vidalia onion, chopped
3 large carrots, sliced however you like
3 stalks celery, sliced however you like
1 large leek cut into rounds (I love leeks but they aren't essential)
Garlic powder (a tablespoon or more) or 2 cloves minced fresh garlic

Celery seed (about a tablespoon or more)

Seasoned salt (Lawry's is the best) to taste

If you like spicy (like I do), I also add some cayenne powder, red pepper flakes and 8-10 squirts of tabasco to the soup.

I also had about a cup of red wine that was a little past the drinking stage, so I added that, too.

You can also add cubed potatoes to this to make it heartier if you like.

Basically just plop it all in a big stew pot or even a crock pot and let it cook and cook until everything is tender.

You could really add any vegetable to this if you want - kale, spinach, beans of almost any sort. It's good and hearty and tomato-y!

Ok. Tomorrow I have a snow day - we're supposed to get dumped with something like 6-10 inches and even more in some isolated areas, so no more excuses about the lack of SAG award snark!

That's all I gots for today. Hope you're all safe and warm wherever you may be.

I will leave you to contemplate the bevy of baby woodchucks that I saw this summer near my favorite Salem beach:

Ciao for now.









1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking of your time to give me that recipe. If I'm not pushing my luck, the zucchini latkes sound yummy too. Damn, they all do and I've eaten breakfast. :0)
    Born in Salem. Spent my youth between there, Beverly and Wenham.
    Swiniuch Sq. was named after an uncle. Had many Polish relatives around that area.
    Thanks again.
    (((hugs)))Pat

    ReplyDelete